Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Long distance riding and the Allez

As I've mentioned, I love my Allez. Nothing fancy. Just a good all-around road bike.

The aluminum frame is stiff, which is good for speed, but can be fatiguing. There are a few things that can help that situation. First and foremost, the tires. For winter I run Continental GP Four Seasons. Great tires, and they soak up some of the road vibration. A carbon seatpost would also go a long way toward making the ride a bit more plush.

A lot of these long distance bike rides are fully supported, and with that in mind I the Allez would be a great choice for something like Biking Across Kansas or RAGBRAI. I currently have three bags: A wedgie, a small bag that sits on the top tube (both from KoKi) and a smallish handlebar bag. These three bags are all you need for a day in the saddle. Tools fit into the wedgie just fine. Nutrition fits into the frame bag. Extra clothing such as a jacket fits into the handlebar bag and is light enough to not interfere with the steering.

I find a road bike very comfortable. You do need to wear a chamois, but I have no problem going with the human sausage look. You get to be my age and you just don't care.

No comments:

Post a Comment