Monday, January 30, 2012

Damn Chinese (food)

I was planning to ride this afternoon so I had Chinese for lunch. When I got out to the ride my blood sugar was 415! That's like a record for me. I am never that high. You are not supposed to ride when your blood sugar is this high and so I almost turned around a came home.

But I didn't. I just know it was that damn white rice. Sure enough, when I checked my blood sugar about 45 minutes into the ride it was 175. Which, makes me think that first reading was a mistake. In any case, do as I say, not as I do. If your blood sugar is above 250 when you start to exercise, be careful. If it's over 300, do something about it.

Anyway, I'm glad I rode. About 10 miles. It was another great day - 63 and sunny at the end of January.

Two things of note.

One, I love my bike, it gets better with every ride. The Continental 4 Seasons tires were a great choice for winter riding. They handle the rough bike path pavement well, though my back tire keeps coming out of true - likely because I'm the one who is tightening the spokes and, well, I've still got a lot of weight to lose.

The other Thing I want to note is that my endurance is way up. I do 10 miles now and I really do feel like I could go another 20-30 miles with no problem. When it gets warmer I'll have to do that!

No comments:

Post a Comment