Thursday, January 5, 2012

The Turn Around Point

I usually ride out to a point then turn around, rather than doing a loop. Part of the reason for this is that I usually ride during the middle of the day and I don't want to deal with traffic, so I head to the park and ride the excellent bike path system we have around here.

The turn around point is my favorite part of the ride. Often I stop for water here. Here is usually a little park and there are often kids playing and people walking their dogs. It's quiet, relaxing, and at this time of year, a nice feeling to have the low afternoon sun warm my face.

What makes it even better! Why sucking down lukewarm water from a plastic bottle that hasn't been washed for a month, of course. I can feel every cell in my body thanking me for the hydration.

After the turn around pedaling seams a bit easier. The seat seems a bit more comfortable. It's almost as if the rest of the ride is physically down hill, no matter which direction I'm headed. I guess it is, figuratively.

Still, the rest of the ride is tinged with a bit of sadness, because it is nearing the end. Nonetheless, I enjoy this part of the ride best. I'm 44 now. I am changing careers and I work at a nursing home right now. I can't imagine being that old and liking life very much. Still, I imagine the next 40 years will be the best part. Hopefully quieter and more relaxing than the first part.

No comments:

Post a Comment