Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Multi-Day Rides

Photo: The Des Moines Register.


I am excited to start doing multi-day rides. I like the idea of going a long distance totally under one's own power.  These rides are mostly seven or eight days and go from 400 to 500 miles. Generally you camp or stay in a high school gymnasium in some little town in middle of nowhere. Pancakes for breakfast. Funnel cakes on the route. Pasta for dinner. A carb fest! Bicycling Magazine's March issue has a list of some major rides, but they left one out: Kansas. I've included it.

Bike Florida Annual Spring Tour - Various routes - the 2012 edition is in the panhandle (The Forgotten Coast). Last week of March.

Biking Across Kansas - Nearly 500 miles from Colorado to Missouri. I hope to do it several times. Only 800 riders. Second week in June.

Ride the Rockies - Sounds brutal, 50 - 90 miles a day at altitude in Colorado - Second week of June.

GRABAAWR - A ride along the Wisconsin river averaging about 70 miles a day. Third week in June.

Tour de Kota - A tour of South Dakota nearly 500 miles long. I want to do this one. Third week in June.

Bike Virginia - 50 - 100 miles a day. Last week of June.

Michigander- 30-57 miles a day. 2-, 6- and 7- day options. Middle of July.

The Bon Ton Roulet - No, not in Louisiana but in the beautiful part of New York. The 2012 version goes through Watkins Glen. This one is on my list. - 45-75 miles a day. Third week in July.

RAGBRAI - Probably the premier event in the nation and draws 8,000 riders. Dip you wheels in the Missouri and then in the Mississippi eight days and nearly 500 miles later. I hope I get to do several. Last week in July.

Mass Bikepike Tour - 45-70 miles a day. I have to do this one: I love New England. Second week of August.

Cycle Oregon - About 65 miles a day. Whey do I think you would get pretty wet doing this one? I know, eastern Oregon is a desert. Second week of September.

No comments:

Post a Comment