Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Me and my carbs

On today's ride I realized I need to get a good handle on how many carbs it takes to maintain my blood sugar during a ride. It's all fine and good to ride to lose weight and lower my blood sugars, but for longer rides I am going to need to sustain acceptable blood sugars.

There are two ways to accomplish this and I need to learn how to use both. The first is through drinks that provide both hydration and enough carbs to replace the sugar I burn through on the ride. My preference for quick carbs is orange juice, but I know a lot of people use colas. These are not practical for obvious reasons. Sports drinks are the obvious answer, but there are hundreds, so finding the right one is key.

The other way to provide fuel is through the use of gels. They are perfect in the sense that they are compact and keep. As a rule, they taste awful.

I will keep you posted. I am finding that as a diabetic you are your own little science experiment.

No comments:

Post a Comment