Wednesday, February 1, 2012

A low

I always test my blood sugar before riding. This is a key to preventing a low. However, despite one's best efforts things can happen. Today is a good example.

I tested and was 175. I know that my blood sugar will drop about 90 points during a 40-minute ride. Ideally I should be between 200 and 250 when I start a ride. In practice, I am usually around 270, which is partly because I like to ride about an hour after I eat.

Anyway, I knew I should take more carbs on board so I ate a peanut butter sandwich on the way to the bike path. I rode for nearly an hour and low and behold I was 75 at the end of the ride. Testing at the end of a ride is another key.

Generally when I hit 80 I start feeling the low - I break out into a sweat and start shaking. Not this time. I felt nothing, which makes me wonder if exertion can mask the effects of a low. It also makes me wonder if all lows are equal.

In any case, I had a great ride. Few rides are not great. This seems to be our year without winter, which I suppose is reward for suffering through the past two cold winters. There were a lot of walkers out because of the weather, but they were well behaved.

At this time of year at this latitude the sun at 4 p.m. casts long shadows. When it's warm like this it is usually accompanied by a stiff south wind. Not today. It was perfectly still. Just beautiful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment