Sunday, July 31, 2011

Electra Camera Mount Test

I have wanted a camera mount for my bike for a while.  I have essentially the top of the line (well, at the time I bought it) point-and-shoot camera. It's a Nikon Coolpix P5100, which shoots up to 12.1 megapixels and can go fully manual. It also shoots excellent video.

I did not want to go with a full camera and mount system like GoPro just yet because of the investment in my Nikon. So, I decided to try the Electra Handlebar Camera Mount. My local bike shop carries Electra and Electra accessories, but does not stock this particular item, so I had to special order it and buy it sight unseen.

My initial reaction upon receiving it is that this is a pretty sturdy mount. It is not light, so there are obviously better options if weight is important to you. However, this mount gives you a lot of bang for the buck as it is priced just shy of $40.

You mount it to your handlebars with a fairly sturdy collar mount that comes apart in two pieces. Electra even provides you a hex wrench for this purpose and rubber shims, which my handlebars did not require the use of. If you have a tripod for your camera, you know how to operate this mount. It is essentially a tripod mount with twist handle to make adjustment easier. The twisting handle also folds up to become flush with the mount, an added bonus.

In short, success. The mount is very sturdy and on my limited road tests so far, the only vibration is from the bike itself. This is something to consider if you want a handlebar as opposed to helmet mount. The video is only going to be as smooth as the road you are riding on. My purpose for shooting video is mainly to have something to watch when I'm on the trainer this winter. For that purpose the Electra Handlebar Camera Mount is perfect. I'd give it four out of four stars.

Here is some video I shot on my first test run. Not the most exciting, I'll admit, but exactly what I'm looking for. And what's up with that guy jogging in middle of the road?

No comments:

Post a Comment