Thursday, April 19, 2012

Weight update

Since starting at the gym about six weeks ago I've lost seven pounds. I'd say I've lost even more fat and built up some muscle. At my weight, seven pounds should not be noticable, but I've had a few people tell me it looks like I have lost weight. They are probably being nice, but I'll take it. More importantly, I feel better. They probably think I've lost weight because I am standing a bit taller.

A few more observations about this topic:

  • It's a marathon, not a sprint. I'm losing about one pound a week, which doesn't seem like a lot, but that's 52 pounds a year. Think about the opposite of that.
  • Changing one's lifestyle is the key. I have developed the habit of going to the gym or going out on the bike. I do it without thinking or prodding myself.
An area where I still need work is nutrition. I am a big believer in baby steps. So many people fail when they make New Year's Resolutions because it's just too much change at once. The things that make you successful are walking the dog on Tuesday mornings or going for an afternoon run. Then do it again. Then again.

No comments:

Post a Comment