Friday, April 20, 2012

More Exercise = Less Depression

The Archives of Internal Medicine says researchers analyzing 90 studies involving more than 10,000 depressed people with chronic illness found participants who were part of an exercise program became 22 percent less overall.

I can see why. Since I began cycling 30 to 50 miles and working out at the gym a few times each week I find a number of benefits, and increased health is just one of them. I am more relaxed and have not had a full-blown panic attack since I don't know when. Nothing seems to get me down.

I also have tons of energy. My typical day includes working a four hour shift as a CNA (not easy work), getting in a workout, going to class or studying, and spending time with my family. I would have been able to do none of this before starting to exercise regularly. My wife would tell you that it means I'm more likely to take the trash, do the dishes or a few loads of laundry (okay, the dishes part might be a lie).

I am ready to go when the alarm clock goes off at 5:30. Six hours seems to be plenty of sleep and I rarely need to nap during the day any more.

No comments:

Post a Comment