Monday, April 9, 2012

A milestone

Today I filled the Moleskine journal I keep of my rides and other notes. This paper journal was the basis for this blog. I started it June 22, 2011. I had ridden a few times on my Electra Townie one-speed before I thought to start keeping the journal, but I was basically just starting to ride again.

  • First Entry: 3.6 miles in 22 minutes - all flat bike path. I was gassed after that ride, man. I could barely hang the bike on the back of my car and had to hold on to the car as I walked back to the driver's door.
  • Last Entry: 17.13 miles in 1 hour 19 minutes - a mix of hills and flat on side streets, main roads and bike path. I got off the bike 20 minutes ago and am fully recovered. I could have done another 17 miles. This is on top of an eight hour CNA shift yesterday evening and a four-hour shift this morning.

Since I took up cycling, I have:

  • Lost an additional 10 pounds. This might not seem like a lot, but remember when I first started cycling I was still gaining back weight after my illness. I was flat on my back for four months before this. There is more to that ten pounds, too, I have added muscle to my legs and arms and lost fat around my midsection.
  • I sold my one-speed town bike and bought a true road bike. I'll never regret buying a bike with drop handlebars.
  • I have developed a healthy habit - cycling - that effects my sense of well being in all aspects of my life. I could not do the job I do and balance school and home life if I was not putting miles on that bike.
  • I have stopped having debilitating panic attacks. I would get panic attacks so bad I would have to pull over the car and calm myself down. I could not drive on the freeway. Now, I might have a bit of nervousness in a stressful situation, but I can't remember the last time I had a full blown panic attack.
  • I have lowered my A1C level (the long-germ gauge of blood sugar control) and as of yet have no complications from my diabetes.
  • In fact, I'm healthier than I have been in a long, long time - probably since collage.
  • I can get down on the floor and play with my children, kick around a soccer ball with my son and have the energy to read read a bedtime story at the end of the day.
  • I have joined a gym. I have a lot of work to do - a long way to go - and working out off the bike and combining it with proper nutrition is going to be a key for me going forward.
  • I'm starting a running program this week. No, I have no desire to run a marathon, but I'm planning on doing a 5K and using running to increase my endurance for cycling.
  • I'm thinking about doing a triathlon. Sounds crazy right? A sprint triathlon is about 500 yards of swimming, 16 miles of riding and 3.1 miles of running. When the trainer at the gym told me I should think about doing one, I laughed at her. "It's not the Ironman," she said. I thought about it, and I agree. It's a long-term goal, but I want to do one to say I did it.
  • I am serving as Team Red captain for the American Diabetes Association Kansas City Tour de Cure. As of this writing, we are the top team, having raised more than $1,500.

I have changed my life - I have a new lifestyle that revolves around family, work, school and cycling.

All of this because I made the decision to get on the bike.

No comments:

Post a Comment