Friday, April 20, 2012

The residual effect of exercise

I have this new schedule where I work in the mornings. Again, I work as a CNA while I'm going back to school, which is not easy work.

Three times this week I had a low in middle of my shift. This is a new issue for me. I've rarely had a low at work. I am beginning to think it's not the new schedule, but the residual effect of exercise.

I don't eat the healthiest breakfast, but I do eat the prescribed number of carbs and take the proper amount of fast-acting insulin to cover. I have already cut my lantus back four units a day. I'm thinking of cutting back another four.

While none of us would want to be diabetic, I do find it a great motivator that I can prick my finger and get an objective measure of my workout. If you ever doubt that the exercise you are doing is helping you, test your blood sugar before and after. My blood sugars drop significantly during a workout unless I take on carbs while I am exercising.

For me it's almost as good as insulin.

No comments:

Post a Comment