Thursday, February 7, 2013

This is a post about running

I think I have officially caught the running bug. I have spent the last six months or so trying to do the Couch to 5K program. I started several times, making it through two to four weeks, but could never complete the program.

About a month ago, I accidentally fast forwarded to the last week and ended doing a 20-minute run with about a five minute walk in the middle. I obviously was aware very quickly that something was wrong when I missed the first couple of walking reps, but I went with it. While it nearly killed me, I could do it.

Faced with starting Couch to 5K yet another time and finding it hard to make time for exercise, the other day I threw on the work clothes, did some errands and stopped by the park on my way home to run a mile without stopping. I found I could do this pretty easily.

Yesterday, I decided to test myself. This time I ran two miles without stopping. It was difficult, but I did  it.

So, tomorrow, four miles. No, just kidding. I think I'll stop at two miles for a few weeks and reassess. What I won't be doing is Couch to 5K or Easy 5K or programs like that. Perhaps it was my fits and starts or all the cycling, but I found that starting from scratch doesn't work for me. Not enough running.

That's not to say these are not great programs. If you are indeed going from the couch to your first 5K, then I highly recommend Couch to 5K or Easy 5K, another app available from the Apple Store. Both use the same idea of alternating walks and runs.

In any case, I felt terrific after the two-mile run. I posted on Facebook, told my wife and even called my sister-in-law, an avid runner. "I thought you might find that pretty cool," I told her voicemail.

I do. And now I can add runner to cyclist after my name. And, at least mentally I'm not as afraid of taking on hills on my bike after the runs.

Well, back to class. I still want to tack on an RN or PhD after my name as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment