Monday, February 25, 2013

Registered!

Today I registered for the Big 12 5K in Kansas City, which is held in conjunction with the league basketball tournament.

It's hard to imagine right now with six inches of snow on the ground and another foot predicted tonight, but in less than three weeks I'll be doing my first 5K of the year. This is not the first 5K I've ever done. Last year I did two, but this is the first one I plan to mostly run. I say mostly, because while I plan to run the whole thing, I won't be hard on myself if I walk a bit.

It's significant, because I will be using this as my base time for the 5K distance. All of my training for the rest of the year will be centered on improving upon that time. Mind you, my goal is merely to finish.

I'd like to say I spent the whole summer training, but my running was erratic. I tried the Couch to 5K program and I just couldn't do it. I got bored. Finally, I went out and ran a mile. Then two. Now I'm concentrating on running two miles each time out and I feel pretty good. I still have gas in the tank when I'm done.

This training regimen is less than ideal, and I'd like to be at the point that a 5K is merely a training run, but I'm confident I can make a good attempt at this with my fitness level.

The race is March 16. I'll post my results.


No comments:

Post a Comment