Friday, February 8, 2013

Just Get On The Road

Today I applied my Just Get On The Bike philosophy to running. It worked.

I was watching the kids today and by the time Amy got home I was in a food coma watching Wild, Wild West with a date to watch Emergency! at 4 p.m. Childhood favorites.

But I knew I needed to run. Especially because I am facing minor surgery in March. I want to be in the best shape possible, and because it is hernia surgery, it would help if I lost a few pounds. I won't be able to run or cycle for several weeks after that in any case.

I checked my blood sugar before heading out. I was at 146, which in my experience is too low to begin exercise without taking on any carbs.

At this point, let me say that early in my exercising career (still in its infancy) I would exercise to drop my blood sugar. I am trying to be more in control, so my goal now is to maintain while I exercise. My goal for this and every workout is to start in the high 100s and finish a few points lower. In the past, when I was newer to diabetes and flying high, I would start around 250 and aim to finish about 100 points lower.

I'm not sure what a doctor would tell you about this, but this is how I do it.

Anyway, I downed a G2 and headed out. Reluctant. I walked the first block to warm up, then set off on a two-mile course I mapped out in Map My Run. I ran most of it. I walked a few blocks in the middle, but I feel pretty good about what I did.

Not only did I go out when I didn't feel like it and, once again, proved that almost always you get into a groove and enjoy the activity once it begins, I did a full two miles.

Slow, but I did it. But that's not what it's about.

I have to say, I'm set up for a good rest of the day! My blood sugar at the end of the activity was 135. I should be in target when dinner rolls around in about an hour.

I can't wait until it gets warmer and I am able to run more comfortably and early in the morning. Right now, it's freezing first thing in the morning and I'm not heading out in that.

I'm not that into it. Yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment