Sunday, November 13, 2011

Riding For Fun

If I had to classify my riding, I'd say about 90 percent of it is training rides. Training for what? The next group ride, event ride, whatever.

I need to do more riding for fun. Instead of firing up the Ford, I should be hopping on a bike and riding up to Quick Trip or down to the coffee shop. I used to do these quick runs on the scooter (Note to self, get the scooter running). Riding instead of driving is a lifestyle choice. These short rides are just the kind of thing that makes you healthy. Kind of like taking the stairs instead of the elevator or parking at the far end of the parking lot. Right now I have my wife's voice in my head chastising me for parking two spaces from the handicapped parking. Hey, I can't help it, I've always been lucky that way.

I suppose a fixie is the best sort of bike for this thing. There are no hills between here and the grocery stores, Starbuck's, fast foot joints, bike shop, convenience store, etc. I liked the Townie, but I always wanted just one other gear. I suppose if you have 21 gears, there's always a 22nd that you would like.

A Globe Daily or a Trek Belleville would be the hipster alternative. Pretty cool looking bikes and functional too.

I think back often to those rides I used to do with dad and Mike Smith, this guy down the street. We would ride up to Avila College or The Barstow School. What a sense of freedom. There is nothing better than a dad asking his child "where do you want to go?" and then going there. I love that feeling of freedom when you get on the bike and just go wherever your mood takes you.

No comments:

Post a Comment