Tuesday, November 15, 2011

The Never-Ending Quest To Identify A Second Bike

When I take rides like the one today through the neighborhood I dream about having a second bike that's purposed for this type of rambling, grocery store runs and coffee shop trips.

Dont' get me wrong. I love my Allez. For fitness and everyday training rides, this is the perfect bike. It's already feeling like an old friend, and now that I have cycling shoes and clipless pedals, I really feel at one with the bike. It gets better every time I ride it, and the carefully considered tweaks like new Continental GP Four-Season tires just make it all that much better.

In a pinch, this bike can do other things. I could put a rack on the back of it, I suppose. I could also buy a platform kit for my pedals and use it for these short runs.

Ultimately I want a casual bike, though.

Lately I've been combing the Web sites, visiting the shops and reading online reviews. I don't really need a dedicated commuter, but something more suited for this purpose would be nice. I suppose I could also just throw a messenger bag over my shoulders and take the Allez to classes, though. A flat-bar fitness bike or a comfort bike might fit the bill, but they seem kind of boring.

A few bikes from Trek have caught my eye. One is the Belleville. It has a lot of features I like. It's steel. It comes with racks and lights. It looks fantastic. In fact, I think it would look awesome with a pair of wood fenders and accessories from Brooks: A B17 saddle, roll up panniers and a tool roll. I found a company that makes cool crates that fit this bike complete with cup holders. Does it get any better? The downside is that it's only a three speed. But it's an internal hub, and I could switch out the hub for a seven.

 

Another bike I like from Trek is the PDX. It's also steel, is rack and fender compatible and is cheep - about $600. It would make for an excellent grocery-getter, tow vehicle and even commuter. I suppose this bike is more practical, but I just like that styling with the Belleville.

At the end of the day I like the fact the Belleville, which is about $200 more, is a complete package. I also think the mustache bars will be more comfortable. I am not sold on the flat bar concept on the PDX. I do like the fact that this bike is pretty non-descript and has every-day ride written all over it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment