Friday, July 12, 2013

Testing Out A New (Old) Seat

I am testing out my Brooks B17 Saddle on my road bike. I noticed that in the grand scheme of things, the B17 is not a whole lot heavier than the saddle that I had on the bike in the first place. Maybe 60 grams.

I would rather be comfortable than shave a few tenths of a second off my average mile. I'm not the fastest rider anyway, and until I upgrade the components on my Specialized Allez, it's a bit on the heavy side anyway. Heck, the crankset looks like it was made out of iron (Shimano 2300). I'll worry about weight when I upgrade to anything that starts with SRAM.

The change was made easier for a couple of reasons. First, I don't have time to ride the excellent bike paths in our area because they are not close to the house and it takes a bit of riding or a car trip to get to the closest trailhead. My other bike is that workhorse of bike paths and rail trails everywhere, the Specialized Sirrus. It needs a new tire, which means replacing both because the stock tires are shit. I can't justify spending the money right now for decent Continentals.

After a few test rides I think I have the seat dialed in. The first ride the seat was too high and pitched too far back. I felt like I was falling off. The second ride resulted in my legs going numb because I overcompensated by pitching the seat too far forward.

Not it's just right. Whatever the bike, that Brooks saddle makes it the most comfortable ride in town.


No comments:

Post a Comment