Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Great Article on Running with Diabetes

I found a great article on running with diabetes at Active.com.

Click here to read the article.

A lot of the article is basic stuff about Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes. Most of us with the disease can skip this, but about halfway through there is some useful stuff.

The author quotes a doctor who reminds us why running is a great way to improve our health as diabetics. Running helps our bodies to more efficiently use the insulin we produce or supplement. It may even reduce the need for insulin in many of us.

A great tip from this article is that we should keep a meter with us when we run. I have two meters, both of which I got free from my doctor.

One of the meters is tiny. It's about the size of an iPod Nano and it fits perfectly in those little pockets Nike and other clothing manufacturers so kindly sew into running tops, shorts and tights. Its feather light, too.

The article goes on to say it's important to test before, during and after a run. I usually test right before the run (or ride) and test every 45 minutes to an hour after that. For a 5K, I would not test unless my blood sugar was under 150 or so. In that case I would be sure to take on some carbs at the start line or before the race and test on the course.

I am better able to predict my blood sugars when riding. I am too new to running, except that I know my blood sugars will drop faster than the equivalent time riding a bike. Not surprising.

Everyone is different. The key in my experience is that you should treat yourself as your own science experiment. I record my blood sugars obsessively when I exercise so I have a good set of data about what the activity will do to me.

It's important to take on carbs after the activity too. In the past I used an hour on the bike as a way to earn a donut (or two). Now my goal is more to maintain a good, healthy blood sugar before, during and after the activity. 

A lot of this is trial and error. I try not to beat myself up if I experiment with something and end up with a higher than I would like blood sugar. When "dialing in" your blood sugars and exercising it's important not to risk a low that could leave you out on the course or trail needing sugar and not having it handy.

It goes without saying that it's important to carry more carbs than you need in your bike bag, jersey or pocket. Those power gels are perfect for this: They are light, have the right number of carbs and taste horrible, which is an extra incentive to get it right.

Happy running! 

No comments:

Post a Comment