Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Trek Store

I treated myself to a visit to the Trek store today. I thought I would check out Specialized's competition. It seems like in America we have two choices for quality manufacturers that have a wide range. These are do-anything manufacturers like Ford and Chevy.

First, let me say, excellent service. I was treated well, the salespeople took time with me and when I asked questions that indicated that I know a thing or two about bikes, they rewarded my knowledge and curiosity with respect and conversation. That's more than I can say for another well-known dealer here in Johnson County that also sells Trek. Of course, my favorite shop is a Specialized dealer.

Okay, now the bad. I realize that these dealers are in business to sell bikes and it doesn't make sense to stock units that will just collect dust, but why can't they have an example of the entire range on hand. I really wanted to look at a Belleville, but they don't stock it. I also wanted to look at a PDX, but again they don't stock it.

They did give me a catalog, which I was appreciated of, and I found out some other disheartening news. I liked the PDX because on the Web site it says it's a steel bike, and I know from bike forums that I visit that this was a steel frame and similar (at least in appeal) the low end of the FX range, which is aluminum. The catalog says the PDX is now aluminum. WTF?

Another disturbing trend. Built in China. I have no issues with bikes that are built in Taiwan and Thailand, but I still am hesitant about bikes built in China. Trek does have a lifetime warranty, so that's some comfort, but again, WTF? It looks like in the FX range, you have to go up to a 7.6 to get something built in Taiwan.

Which suddenly made me panic. Was my Allez built in China? I seem to remember that it was made in Taiwan, but now I'm concerned.

Anyway, wasn't impressed with the overall build quality of the lower end of the range. I realize this might be because Specialized tends to invest in colorful and well executed paint jobs, but I don't know. I looked at a Trek Portland, which is a $1,700 bike and it looked cheap.

It wasn't my mood either, I thought about that too.

So, nice store. I did see a t-shirt I liked and undoubtedly the upper end of the range Madones are good bikes. A bit disappointed in the rest, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment