Monday, December 12, 2011

Something to train for



Today I realized that the only way I am going to get out there and ride in this cold is if I have something to train for. Hence, the Vino Fondo May 5. Since this will be my first Gran Fondo with hills, I'll do the mini fondo, only 26 miles, but with more than a half-mile vertical climb. You can also loop the course twice for 52 total miles. Something to consider, but I don't want to get ahead of myself. It includes the Schleusberg climb that was on the Tour of Missouri.


After this ride I plan to graduate to the middle length of most event rides. That's probably at the limit of what I'd want to do on my Allez. I'd want something a bit more comfortable for the 100+ mile days in the saddle. Something like the Secteur or Roubaix - that's what they are made for.


The event is put on by Big Shark, a bike shop in St. Louis. They have a nice picture of Contador climbing the Schleusberg.




Here's the event Web sit.
http://bigshark.com/about/2012-vino-fondo-pg796.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment