Saturday, May 11, 2013

A few words about golf

I used to play a lot of golf. I got into it so much one summer that I played three or four times a week. I would get up and play nine holes before the groundskeepers would even put out the flags. I spent a lot of money on golf balls. A lot. I never was very good.

My favorite bike path takes me along a good portion of a golf course. I look out at those golfers and I'm glad on this side of the fence. It reminds me of a kind of zoo. Don't feed the golfers. Today at one of the tees the foursome was chatting up the beer cart girl. Four guys, probably in their late 30s by the look of it, trying to impress a high school girl.

At other times, I've seen groups of golfers - usually two foursomes - patiently waiting at the tee boxes for the shotgun start of a tournament. On nice weekend days like today I often see guys - they are always guys - sitting in their carts waiting to play through. There is a lot of standing around in that game, which accentuates the zoo-like effect.

And that's why I am glad to be on this side of the fence. As far as exercise goes, golf just doesn't cut it. Most courses require you to rent a cart to speed play anyway. Don't get me started about the clothes.

Golf is the Facebook of exercise: A way to spend half the day outside and feel like you are getting exercise without breaking a sweat in the same way you can stay connected with people on Facebook without having to deal with them face-to-face.


No comments:

Post a Comment