Sunday, July 15, 2012

A good birthday

Today is my 45th birthday. Thanks to cycling I am healthier than I have been in at least 20 years. That does not mean I am where I want to be.

In the past year I have lost ten pounds and incorporated swimming and gym workouts into my exercise routine along with cycling. This is the main reason why I have lost, not gained ten pounds. I have also reduced my A1C by almost a full point. I have cut back on my long-acting insulin by eight units a day.

I have started running, but my running program has been slow going. I don't do it often enough to progress. Of course my goal is to get stronger for cycling, do sprint triathlons and 5Ks, not run marathons.

Another year like this would be good. But, in order for it to be great, I need to focus on nutrition. It's been the hardest thing for me to overcome. It's not that I eat a lot. I just eat the typical American diet. Sure, I try to watch my carb intake, but I eat way too much fat and way too many calories to lose the weight that I want.

I need to be better at maintaining a good blood sugar throughout my exercising rather than starting high, ending low and taking on carbs after the ride, swim, run or workout.

My goal for the next year is simple. I want to lose a pound a week. It sounds daunting: Lose 52 pounds, but with the amount of exercise I do, my job and my motivation it should be simple math. There is no way I will be able to do it without adding in this last component.

Today is a great birthday, because I'm sitting here having lost ten pounds and not gained ten, improved my overall health and improved the management of my diabetes. My last birthday I was still recovering from my illness, so believe me, I feel pretty proud about what I've been able to do.

Now is the time to work harder!

No comments:

Post a Comment